Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Some Random Photos

This past week I have been making a few pots and mostly just getting things ready to try out my reduction kiln converter. These four pictures are just some random pictures of what has been going on lately. This first picture is of a lidded bowl, or sugar bowl. Whatever you want to call it.















These are the ash test glazes for the first firing of the reduction kiln. I have some other tests that I am going to put in there but this is what I mixed up yesterday. They are pretty simple recipes and that's because I am not one of those potters who wants a ton of stuff in my glazes. It starts to get to a point where you are spending to much money on glaze material when there is only 1-2 percent in the glaze. Not worth it. These are all raw glazes and they contain somewhere between 20-30 percent clay. There are three different sets of tests each containing a different clay. The first is just OM 4 ball clay, the second is Ohio Slip, and the third is Redart. The Ohio slip is a clay similar to Albany Slip. For more information go to www.akclay.com. I am hoping I can get at least one good test from each set so I can make a couple of different ash glazes. I am planning on having an amber ash, temmoku, blue ash, greenish ash, and maybe a glossy opaque ash of some sort.
















Here is the Electric kiln reduction converter. I was supposed to get this is 4-6 weeks but about 4 days after I ordered it, it showed up at the front door.
















This is the Converter with the kiln on it. This kiln has another section but I am only using this whole kiln as a test kiln so I don't need a whole lot of room for many pots. I might do a shelf or two but that would be it. I just have to figure out how to work the thing now. The instructions aren't really all that good but I think I will be able to figure it out.





















Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment