Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Hi

So here is my first post on this blog. For everyone who doesn't know me, which is most likely everyone who visits this blog, here is a little background info. My name is Sheridan Ray and I am a recent graduate from Monmouth College. I am 22 years old and am in the process of setting up a pottery in Metamora, IL. Right now I am working out of my parents garage making stoneware pots which I fire to cone 10 in my electric kilns. The eventual plan is to move the pottery out to the country and build a studio, wood kiln, and eventually a house.

Here are a couple of pots I have been working on lately. I recently went to a Saturday morning farmers market in Peoria and found that I needed to make pots that were a little more fancy so here are some of the forms I came up with.























































I am most happy with this last pot. The base is about 10 pounds and the neck is 3. Before Shrinking it is about 2 feet tall. The problem I have with making pots like this is that I always struggle with what to glaze them in. I have an amber ash glaze that I used back at school but that was in our big reduction kiln so I am not sure how that will translate to the oxidation firing. I think it will be fine but who knows. Till next time......

Sheridan

1 comment: